MESPA Membership Brochure
High Quality Professional Development
- Workshops: New this year, in partnership with Ribas Associates, we are providing more than 30 workshops for teachers and school leaders in the areas of: Addressing the Social-Emotional Learning Needs, Strengthening Collaborative Teacher Teams and Developing Leadership Skills. Teachers in a member principal’s school can register at the membership rate. Click here for a complete program of studies and registration form.
- Annual Fall Conference: This year’s conference, “The Connected Leader,” is Thursday, November 3, 2016 and features keynote speaker Alan November and concurrent sessions offered by colleagues.
- Annual Spring Conference: TBD
- Leadership Coaching Program: Coaching can be beneficial for all school leaders. Our program uses a “strength-based” model and a collaborative process that includes reflection and self-assessment. MESPA provides a customized matching process between coach and principal. For a brochure, go to: http://mespa.org/professional-development/coaching-programs/
Principals Supporting Principals
- Connecting Via Social Media
- #MESPAChat on Twitter: A monthly Twitter chat takes place the first Wednesday evening of each month.
- #MESPAChat on Voxer: An ongoing conversation using an app that combines voice and text messages to enable asynchronous group communication.
- MESPA Blog: Weekly posts by principals around Massachusetts.
- Regional Support Groups: These groups provide a safe and confidential place for principals to develop and refine their leadership practice by sharing ideas and getting support and feedback from trusted colleagues. Groups are comprised of 8-12 participants and are facilitated by an experienced principal and retired principal/consultant.
Your membership allows MESPA to represent the principals’ point of view at the state level on issues regarding public education and school leadership, including monitoring pending legislation and responding to DESE initiatives and regulations that affect principals and public education.
- MESPA Monday Memo is a weekly publication that includes news about upcoming offerings and a reflection or commentary of interest to principals.
- Principal View is the official publication of MESPA, published 4 times per year with interesting articles by colleagues and important information for Massachusetts K-8 principals and assistant principals.
- Principal magazine, published 9 times per year for NAESP members is an award winning professional periodical with practical information to help support you in your work.
Members are entitled to a no cost phone consultation with legal counsel provided by MESPA. Members call the MESPA office first and discuss the nature of the issue with the Executive Director. When legal assistance is needed, the Executive Director notifies the MESPA attorney’s office that the member request is authorized, and provides the member with the attorney’s contact information. Should additional legal services beyond a phone consultation be necessary, members receive a discounted rate for legal counsel.
NAESP Membership includes $2 million of individual professional liability insurance and up to $10,000 for job protection legal counsel. For additional information, click here.
Massachusetts principals may now choose whether to join the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP) when they join MESPA. We encourage you to continue your national membership. In addition to NAESP’s publications and on-line resources, a major reason to join NAESP is the legal benefits they provide. For more information on benefits, visit the NAESP website.
Scholarships & Awards
- The James Argir Scholarships are available for the children of MESPA members for post-secondary education.
- Thomas C. Passios Outstanding Principal of the Year/National Distinguished Principal Award
- MESPA President’s Award
For information on awards go to: http://mespa.org/about/awards/.